Adult and Pediatric Urology
Alfred Shtainer, MD, FACS
Urologist located in Sheepshead Bay, Brooklyn, NY & New York, NY
Dr. Alfred Shtainer and the staff of Adult and Pediatric Urology serve the residents of Manhattan, Queens, Brooklyn, and other New York City neighborhoods. The doctor is a board-certified urologist who specializes in prostatitis and other conditions that affect the prostate and male reproductive organs.
Chronic prostatitis is prostate inflammation that lasts over 3 months. Usually in young and middle-aged men.
- Bacterial in the urine or urethra
- Chemicals in the urine
- Nerve damage from surgery/trauma
- Abnormal prostate anatomy
- Previous prostate surgery or biopsy
Symptoms may include
- Discomfort when urinating
- Slowing of urinary stream
- Night and daytime urinary frequency and urgency
- Blood and/or infection in the urine
- Pain in abdomen, groin, back, perineum, penis, scrotum, testicles and rectum
- Ejaculatory pain
- Review of previous tests
- Urine/Blood Tests
- Semen Cultures
- Digital rectal exam
- Trans-rectal Ultrasound of Prostate
- Antibiotics based on cultures
- Anti-inflammatory and alpha-blockers (tamsulosin)-usually minimal effect
- Prostatic Massages with IM antibiotics
- Low-Intensity Shock Wave Therapy to the prostate (new modality)
Dr. Shtainer customizes prostatitis therapy to each patient. Often many symptoms above are not caused by prostatitis and correct diagnosis is crucial. We utilize European and Asian treatment protocols in difficult cases.
Adult and Pediatric Urology accepts most insurance plans. If you do not see your insurance listed here, please call our office for more information.
Words from our patients
"I brought my son to see Dr. Shtainer who was able to review his medical history . It was nice to have finally have such an attentive doctor."
"Dr. Shtainer saw [my father] the same day, admitted him to the hospital and supervised his care personally throughout. [...] We highly recommend him."
"Happy patient. I came for a second opinion about a serious problem that I have. He scheduled additional exams and now the picture is much more clear."